Cross Country: Not For the Faint of Heart

Lauren Keegan, Assistant Editor

As the bells rings at the end of the day, students flock to the front of the school for socializing and catching rides, but one group stands out from the swarm. Marked by the mound of backpacks piled against a tree, open books, and characteristic short shorts, the cross country team makes its temporary home on the front grass.

The unsung heroes of Analy Athletics, the cross country team, are back and as unrelenting as ever. Coached by UC Davis professor Mark Grismer, the team balances grueling intensity with the fun social aspect of endurance running. Every day at 3:00 the crew of students from every grade and social group come together to stretch and catch up on the happenings of the team. Workouts are anywhere from a 2-mile track workout at Brookhaven’s 390 meter dirt track to the dreaded 10-mile Blackney loop. Sometimes workouts feature guest coaches such as renowned alumnus Dante Capone, who currently runs for UC Santa Cruz, and ultra-marathoner Brian Purcell.

The team kicks off each season with a week-long camp at Salt Point, which perfectly captures the essence of cross country. Workouts are tough in the mountainous campground, but campers play hard with ultimate frisbee, capture the flag, and Mafia around the campfire, creating jokes that outlast the season. Pre-season meets include the interlock meet, which occurred at Spring Lake this year in 101 degree weather, a tri-team meet at our Ragle home this year in the pouring rain, and the Viking Opener at Spring Lake, which featured free running swag from the kind folks at Saucony. The official season begins mid-October, and cross country is ready to run.

The Analy cross country team is not known for its national rankings or deadly workouts. The cross country team is a hardworking and intelligent bunch of students from every background at Analy that know what it means to be a team. They know how to persevere and balance work and play. But beware: cross country is not for the faint of heart.